Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Celebrating Birthdays...

Why is it that so many people say, "I'm too old to celebrate my birthday anymore." That makes no sense to me, just like having a huge birthday bash for a one-year old makes no sense to me either. It's not like anyone remembers their first birthday, or their second, third or fourth birthday for that matter. I think it makes sense to celebrate more with each passing year, particularly as we get older.

Today is my birthday....my 55th...and the official celebration began this past Saturday when my sweetie brought me coffee in bed (that's usually my loving task), and the little treats and surprises have been nonstop ever since, culminating with a get-together with friends this weekend. (Actually, the celebrating started a few weeks ago when my friend Richard treated me to the theatre.)

My loved ones understand that I embrace life, particularly now that I am walking the downside of the hill. This shift in my perspective hit home when I turned 48. Up to that year I felt I could always double my age and see the possibilities...living to be 80, 86, even 90. But 96? Not so much so...and now 110? Why would I want to?

The older I get, the more young at heart I feel. I rarely fret the missteps. I refuse to give up my dreams. I am not afraid to be silly. As George Bernard Shaw said, "Youth is a wonderful thing. What a crime to waste it on children."

Celebrate your birthday with vigor each year. Don't let the kids have all the fun.

Have a joyful day everyone. - Rita
Visit my website at http://www.ritaschiano.com

No comments:

Post a Comment