Monday, April 12, 2010

My Beef With The News...

Those folks who know me really well know I am famous for talking back to the television. And lately, I find myself saying, "Don't you newscasters know the meaning of news?"

By definition, "news" means "a report of recent events; previously unknown information."
Webster (thankfully) confirms what what I thought....previously unknown information. So, why is it, then, oftentimes the nightly news (11:00 p.m.) is nothing more than a rehash of the Afternoon Report ( 12:00 p.m.) the evening news at 5:00 and 6:00 p.m., followed by the morning news (6:00 a.m.).

Okay...I'm sure some of you are thinking, "Man, Rita, you watch way too much news."
Guilty. Truth be told, I'm a news junkie. I crave new information. And like most junkies I need my fix. But recycled news is akin to having a drink at lunch, spitting it back in the glass, and drinking it again with dinner, then before going to bed, and once more first thing in the morning.

Would some news director out there kindly explain to me how it is that within an eighteen-hour time frame, only the same 3 or 4 events happened in my state, in the country, in the world? Honestly...nothing else occurred? Nothing? Granted, I'm no math wiz, but isn't that a statistical improbability?

Maybe John Verrilli or Andrew Vrees can explain this to me? Or, since I'm a consumer of news, maybe I should give a shout out to Hank?

"Help Me, Hank!

Have a joyful day - Rita
Visit my website at http://www.ritaschiano.com

No comments:

Post a Comment